Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A view from Florida on Election Day

This post may be updated throughout the day today. It's 6:57 p.m. EST right now. The polls close in three minutes. Let's see if the MSM falls all over themselves to call FL for Kerry but hold off on calling red states for Bush.

In the Jacksonville area, where I live, turnout has been heavy this morning. Polls opened at 7:00 a.m., and people were lined up at virtually every precinct. My co-worker came in and told me that she waited for 50 minutes before casting her vote for Kerry...I tried to talk her out of voting, but she politely declined my advice...hey, I tried! ;) Sigh...never mix politics with work!

In Clay County, which is a suburban and rural county bordering Jacksonville, the polls saw heavy traffic, but it moved smoothly. Not too many condo commandos to hose things up there. Plus, the county has about 2.2 Republicans for every Democrat. Al Gore lost Clay County big time in 2000, and you're hard-pressed to find many Kerry signs here.