Monday, April 03, 2006

Jihadists lied?

Jill Carroll was released and is disavowing comments she made while in captivity. Details:
Former hostage Jill Carroll strongly disavowed statements she had made during captivity in Iraq and shortly after her release, saying Saturday she had been repeatedly threatened.

In a video, recorded before she was freed and posted by her captors on an Islamist Web site, Carroll spoke out against the U.S. military presence. But Carroll said the recording was made under threat. Her editor has said three men were pointing guns at her at the time.

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed," she said in a statement read by her editor in Boston.

"Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not."
...
In the statement, Carroll also disavowed an interview she gave to the party shortly after her release. She said the party (Iraqi Islamic Party, a Sunni Arab organization - Ed.) had promised her the interview would not be aired "and broke their word."
Point to ponder: Since Osama bin Laden told the world that Islam forbids lying, and since Iraqi Islamic Party's Sunnis lied, then are we to expect them to be decapitated as infidels?

I'm not angry at Carroll for the things she said about or military. Truth be told, if I were captured (especially as a non-soldier) and threatened with death (as she was) if I failed to parrot some words into a camera, I would have in all likelihood said whatever they wanted me to say. Live first, do damage control second.

Osama bin Laden initially denied his role in 9/11, only to admit as much later. Some of the 9/11 hijackers told the passengers to relax and they would be unharmed...only to crash the plane, killing everyone on board. Saddam and his cronies lied endlessly. As did the Taliban ("there's no al Qaeda here!"). So, tell me again how bin Laden's laughable claim that Islam forbids lying should make us believe their words?