Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Euros to criminalize Holocaust denial

Any time a leftard says how the Euros are so much more "evolved" than Americans, I roll my eyes in disgust and disbelief. I can easily rebut such a ludicrous claim, and stories like this make rebuttal even easier. From the Financial Times:
Laws that make denying or trivialising the Holocaust a criminal offence punishable by jail sentences will be introduced across the European Union, according to a proposal expecting to win backing from ministers Thursday.

Offenders will face up to three years in jail under the proposed legislation, which will also apply to inciting violence against ethnic, religious or national groups.

I certainly don't have a problem with criminalizing the inciting of a riot, and I wish we had a law like that here in the States. Oh, wait...we DO have such a law, don't we? It just applies to everyone not named "Sharpton"! My bad. But I digress.

I most certainly have a problem with criminalizing people saying stupid things like "The Holocaust never happened"! While such idiots are certainly worthy of our contempt and scorn, throwing someone in jail for being a moron is going a bit far. If we had such a law here, many of our politicians would be in jail. Hmmmm...I'm kind of undermining my own point, aren't I? (For those of you on the left, that was a joke.)

Wait a minute! Something just dawned on me. Recall how Ellen Goodman of the Boston Goob said that global "warming" skeptics were the same as Holocaust deniers? Well, I'm a global "warming" skeptic, so I wonder if that would make me a criminal were I to ever grace the Euros with my presence? I should probably be quiet about that, so as not to give the Euros any more bright ideas like this one.

What is it about freedom that stumps the Euros so badly?

Labels: , ,