Monday, July 18, 2005

Get a life, people!

I saw where the newest Harry Potter book sells about a quarter of a million copies per hour! Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work!

Anyway, a number of Bible-thumpers are up in arms over the success of the series. They say it encourages kids to practice witchcraft and sorcery.

For the love of God!

If we look at the numbers, let's stick with an hour's worth of sales. About 250,000 sales of Harry Potter are going to result in exactly how many kids engaging in small furry creature sacrifices, conversion from Christianity to "Merlinism" (or whatever the hell they call it), or any other deviant behavior? I mean, does this conversation occur?

Mom: Come on, little Johnny! It's time to go to church!
Little Johnny: No, Mom. I read Harry Potter last night, so I now I suddenly believe there is no God or Jesus. Oh, and don't go looking for Fido, OK? I needed him for a...shall we say..."special love potion"! Now beat it before I hurl a shrinking incantation your way!!

Get a life, people! And for God's sake, let your kids be kids and have an imagination!