Friday, September 16, 2005

Racist t-shirt in my neck of the woods makes national news

This was mentioned on the Neal Boortz show today.

Fleming Island High School in Orange Park, FL, is about 10 miles from my house. It is in an affluent part of Orange Park, which itself is where people who don't want to subject themselves and their kids to Jacksonville's crime and crappy schools live.

Well, a student decided to wear a bigoted, racist, t-shirt, and he got his ass beat for it. While I don't condone the crime, does anyone doubt that this kid didn't have it coming to him? From the Jacksonville newspaper:
The undershirt the white student wore had a confederate flag on the front with the words "Keep it flying." On the back, a cartoon depicted a group of hooded Klansmen standing outside a church, waving to two others who had just pulled away in a car reading "Just married."

Two black men in nooses were being dragged behind.
I figured I would have known if Robert "KKK" Byrd moved to my neck of the woods, but I guess not!

Sounds like his parents weren't aware of it, since he wore the t-shirt under something. But wow...how does a kid this young learn such a vile thing? I'd expect that kind of race-baiting if he had come from an NAACP household in Jasper, Texas, but not here.