Friday, December 16, 2005

AFA flipping out over "pro-gay" Ford

The American Family Association has its thongs in a wad over its perception of the auto giant Ford's "pro-gay" stances. From WND:
A pro-family group that has held Ford accountable for its promotion of the homosexual agenda says it may call for another official boycott of the company after it "violated" an agreement with the organization.

Ford announced Wednesday it was reversing an earlier decision to stop advertising its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in homosexual magazines after pressure from "gay rights" groups.
I just want to know why the AFA gives a hoot where Ford decides to spend its advertising dollars. I mean, do gay folks not have money? If so, wouldn't Ford be doing a poor fidcuiary service to its shareholders by not trying to tap into that market? Money is still green, regardless of the money holder's race, politics, or persuasions...right? If targeting gay audiences in its advertising doesn't pay off for Ford, then you can best believe it will stop doing so. Until that happens, though, how does this issue affect me or anyone else?

Also, the AFA notes this:
"All we wanted was for Ford to refrain from choosing sides in the cultural war, and supporting groups that promote same-sex marriage is not remaining neutral," Wildmon stated.

(snip...)

Besides contributing to homosexual advocacy groups, Ford offers same-sex benefits to its employees.
Ford promotes same-sex marriage, right? And just how effective has that endeavor been for them? Last year, 11 out of 11 states banned gay marriage. Here's guessing that there were a large number of Ford owners that voted with the majority in those states. Regardless of what one's view is on gay marriage, the fact that a corporation likes the idea is irrelevant to me.

Also, Ford offers same-sex benefits to its employees. Again, so what? Why do I care if Jane wants to put Wilma on her health plan? If the premiums are getting paid, then whoopdee-freakin'-doo!

Look, I don't have a problem with the AFA or anyone else speaking with their pocketbooks. I do it all the time, though I doubt you'd be interesting in hearing all the examples. Your money, your choice of where to spend it. However, doesn't the same tenet hold true for Ford?

I may not support gay marriage, and I may even think same-sex bennies are a bit over the top, but I'm not about to lose an ounce of sleep over how Ford spends its dollars. If enough Ford buyers feel that strongly against their policies, let them speak with their pocketbooks. I just don't think that the AFA speaks for them.

Basically, I think the AFA spends way too much time concerning itself with people's bedroom inclinations. If this were a case of Ford trying to put Heather Has Two Mommies or King and King into classrooms across America, I'd be right there with the AFA in trying to stop it. However, since this is no such case, I think the AFA should mellow out a bit.

My $0.02 worth. I welcome yours.