Sunday, March 19, 2006

Another "God's punishment for..." post

Fred Phelps, the anti-gay bigot from the "church" in Kansas, said that the London bombings and 9/11 were God's punishment for the US' and UK's tolerance of homosexuality. By "tolerance", I guess he means that because we don't stone them like the Muslims do, we're too tolerant.

Al Qaeda said that Hurricane Katrina was God striking the US for hating Muslims. Al Qaeda was at a loss to explain the subsequent earthquake that leveled Pakistan, a predominantly Muslim country. I guess Allah hates Muslims more than he hates infidels?

Not to be outdone or underrepresented, the Jews are getting into the act. From YNet:
The bird flu outbreak in southern Israel is God's punishment for the Gaza Strip and northern West Bank disengagement, National Jewish Front Chairman Baruch Marzel says.

"You were punished by God and now you'll have to ask for the forgiveness of Gush Katif residents," Marzel wrote in a letter to southern residents whose communities were affected by bird flu.

In the wake of the bird flu outbreak, rightists have been voicing various theories regarding the connection between the disease and the implementation of the pullout. Marzel himself is certain such connection exists.

"The kibbutz was used to house the expulsion headquarters because of greed, and therefore the bird flu outbreak happened there of all places," the far right leader wrote in his letter to Ein HaShlosha kibbutz.
Unlike these "prophets", I don't pretend to speak for the Almighty, so this is a pure guess on my part and was not inspired by a peyote-induced vision or anything:

I'm thinking that God probably gets as tired of all of these self-proclaimed "divine clairvoyants" as I and many other people do!

I know that I'm not going out on much of a limb with that guess, but I needed to get that off my chest. I have little patience or tolerance for people who profess to have an answer for everyone of life's tragedies, and it just so happens to be that their answers always begin with "God is mad that..." If God really wanted to get His message out to the world, I suspect He wouldn't pick nutcases like Phelps, Al Qaeda, or Marzel to spread the word.

Then again, I don't know what the Almighty thinks, so I'm speculating...unlike the aforementioned nutbars.