Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Flag desecration amendment fails in Senate

From Newsmax:
A constitutional amendment to ban flag desecration died in a Senate cliffhanger Tuesday, a single vote short of the support needed to send it to the states for ratification and four months before voters elect a new Congress.

The 66-34 tally in favor of the amendment was one less than the two-thirds required. The House surpassed that threshold last year, 286-130.
Roll call here.

I've mentioned this before, so I'll keep this short. I think the amendment's defeat is a good thing. While I detest and am grossly offended by some leftist ingrate's burning of the American flag, I would say that burning the flag is no less constitutional than burning a magazine. This banning is not the role of the federal government. If some smelly pinko wants to burn the flag, he should be free to do so.

Then he shouldn't be surprised if he receives a patriotic asskicking afterwards!