Wednesday, August 16, 2006

How to fail Marketing 101

Hat tip to Mary Katherine Ham for this one:
Buy Our Lipstick, You 'Freaked Out, Intimidated, Frightened, Right-Wing Republican, Thin-Lipped B****'
By Mary Katharine Ham

Brilliant marketing from M.A.C. Cosmetics. (Her big line is about halfway through, if you want to fast-forward.)

Man, and I was all excited that pseudo-intellectual, politically conscious grrrrrl power was available in shimmery lip-gloss form. Sigh.

Next up, Patricia Heaton for Venus razors: "These legs pounded the pavement in the Goldwater campaign, okay? I could not express myself with stubble all over these luscious gams. Now, if you're some pot-smoking, war-protesting, left-wing, Democrat, hairy-legged b****..."

Ridiculous. They're cosmetics. It's not that hard to leave the politics out.

Were I the CEO of M.A.C. Cosmetics, I'd be handing my marketing director a pink slip (for those of you on the left, that means a document indicating your termination from your job...not Barney Frank's evening attire). Were I the CEO of Venus razors, I'd be finding a way to disassociate myself from Ms. Heaton. I mean, regardless of whether your customers are black or white, gay or straight, tall or short, fat or thin, left or right, conservative or liberal...all money is green! Why unnecessarily tick off a potentially sizeable demographic like that?