Sunday, August 27, 2006

Pelosi: Trust me, I'm a bitch...plus other gems

From Time's puff-piece on Nancy Pe-loser:
When Frost, who is now out of Congress, unsuccessfully ran for chair of the Democratic National Committee last year, Pelosi repeatedly rebuffed his attempts to get her support. While she declines to discuss those conflicts, Pelosi told Time, "Anybody who's ever dealt with me knows not to mess with me."
That warning implicitly extends to the American electorate, too.

By the way, for any person who insists that Nancy is not a liberal (and yes, I've heard a couple of talking heads try to peddle that hogwash), just take her own word for it:
The 66-year-old San Francisco lawmaker is an aggressive, hyperpartisan liberal pol who is the Democrats' version of Tom DeLay, minus the ethical and legal problems of the former Republican House leader (yeah, she's squeaky clean! - Ed.) .
...
Once in Congress, she was embraced especially by liberal Democrats. She opposed the Gulf War and in a 1996 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle said, "I pride myself in being called a liberal" and "I don't consider myself a moderate." In 2001, on the strength of the votes of party progressives, Pelosi won an intense battle with Maryland's Steny Hoyer, who is more centrist, to be the No. 2 Democrat in the House.
Remember this when Democrats try to pooh-pooh attempts to (accurately) portray their party and their leadership as being coastal leftist elites.

Also, ideas? Aw, ideas-schmideas!
So the Democrats would thunderously attack Bush and argue there was no Social Security crisis and therefore no need for them to put out their own proposal. (Funny how they were singing a different tune under Bubba just a few years ago. Maybe that Kerry flip-flopping thing is endemic to the whole party? - Ed.) Some members were leery, concerned that Pelosi would make the Democrats look like the Party of No. As the spring of 2005 wore on, some pestered her every week, asking when they were going to release a rival plan. "Never. Is never good enough for you?" Pelosi defiantly said to one member.
Personally, I think "never" is a great time for Democrats to impose their solutions on America, but I'm going to hazard a guess that Americans actually want to know what Dems stand for other than "Bush sucks."

I'm furious at how the so-called "conservative" politicians are running the country right now, but "Speaker Pelosi" almost single-handedly guarantees that I will do my part to...as much as I hate to do it...keep the "drunken sailor" (for those of you on the left, that is not a reference to Ted Kennedy) party in charge of things.