Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Bush Nominates Federal Judge Roberts

AP story as of an hour or so ago.

I don't care if Bush nominated the universally loved Laura Bush to to USSC. Dems would fight that pick tooth and nail, and Roberts will be no different.

I want to do a little research on my own before I come to my own conclusions about this guy. I recommend you do the same. Don't take DNC or RNC talking points at face value. Do your own research or check multiple sites before drawing a conclusion.

I do know that in 1990, he wrote a brief to the USSC recommending that Roe v. Wade get overturned. "The court's conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion ... finds no support in the text, structure or history of the Constitution," the brief said.

Legally, he is absolutely 100% correct. I'm not saying abortion should be banned. I'm saying that legally speaking, he is right in that the court erred in 1973 in finding that there is a constitutional (i.e. federal) right.

I also know that he said in 2003, "Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent." Kerry-like flip-flop? Who knows?

That's why I encourage you to do your own digging. I'll be posting on this over the coming days, I'm sure.