Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Liberal judge: Requiring proof of voting eligibility is illegal

A law passed recently in Georgia requires picture identification of any kind in order to be able to vote. Since liberal Democrats have a lock on the ineligible voter demographic (such as illegal aliens, dead people, pets, and multiple votes from the same voter), this law has obviously caused them great discomfort.

Fortunately for the liberal activist groups, they have an equally discomforted (and intellectually vacuous) ally in U.S. District Judge Harold Murphy. From Fox News:
A federal judge Tuesday blocked Georgia from enforcing a new state law requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls.

In issuing the preliminary injunction, U.S. District Judge Harold Murphy (search) said the law amounts to an unconstitutional poll tax because the state is not doing enough to make ID cards available to those who cannot afford them.
Emphasis mine. Really...a poll tax? How do you figure that requiring photo ID is the same thing as a poll tax? The story mentions what appears to be the crux of the argument...until you find the nugget:
A driver's license with a photo is sufficient under the law. But those who do not have a license must obtain a state ID card, which can cost up to $35. The governor said such cards would be given free to those who cannot afford the fee.
Only a nimrod with his leftist mind already made up and needn't be troubled by pesky facts (sounds like the recently removed Fred, doesn't it?) could come to the conclusion that a free I.D. card is a poll tax. Hell, who wouldn't like for their taxes to be $0.00? That's right, folks: in the mind of a liberal judge, though you pay no money, it's a tax anyway.

Democrats need people who are not legally entitled to vote to go to the polls anyway, while trying to deny the vote to overseas military personnel. They are well aware that illegal aliens and other non-citizens (not to mention the unsavory element they court in felons), and various others who are not qualified to vote would more likely than not cast their votes for Democrats than for Republicans or independents. There are actually proposals to allow non-citizens and felons to vote...all pushed by Democrats, of course!

They firmly believe that their political survival could very well depend on their ability to snag illegal votes on Election Day, since legal citizens don't seem to be voting for them these days. I guess this passes for a sick(er) version of affirmative action.

So exactly how do Democrats think voter eligibility should be determined?

Poll Worker: Do you have any ID?

Voter: Que? No comprendo.

Poll Worker: I don't speak Spanish, and this is too much trouble. Go ahead and vote. Next!

Voter: I'm 15, so I don't have a driver's license.

Poll Worker: Well, Judge Murphy says you don't need one. Go ahead. Next!

Voter: I'm out from the state pen this week on furlough...that's why I got these shackles on me. I'd kill you if I could. But I can't.

Poll Worker: Well, clearly you don't have a license, either. Go ahead. Next!

Voter: I already voted this morning, but my man's gonna lose, so I'm voting again. I used my license this morning, but I've since lost it, and didn't have time to get the free I.D.

Poll Worker: That's OK. I'd lose my ass if it wasn't this big AND attached to me. Go ahead. Next!

Only in America, folks.