Thursday, November 09, 2006

Rush: "I feel liberated"

Those of you who have been here for a while recall that earlier this year, I was hoping for a GOP defeat in the midterms because I felt they needed an attitude adjustment. They had strayed too far from their right-of-center platform (specifically on illegal immigration, spending, growth of government, etc.). I changed my mind when I saw that the opposition was actively rooting for our country's loss in the war on terror so they could obtain power.

In other words, I changed my mind because I thought that while the GOP was crappy at running the show, the Dems would be crappier. That should have been a campaign slogan for them: "Vote Republican, because while we DO suck, at least we suck a little less than the Democrats!" How sad is that, that we have to choose between dumb and dumber?

Well, the election is over and the GOP took the thumping they so richly deserved. Has their attitude been adjusted? Time will tell. However, the party has lost one of its loudest and strongest defenders. From the Godfather:
There hasn't been any ideology in the Republican Party, any conservatism, for at least two to maybe four years. You could argue Bush was more of an ideologue in the presidential campaign of '04, but in looking at what happened yesterday, it wasn't conservatism that lost. Conservatism won when it ran as a Democrat. It won in a number of places. Republicanism lost. RINO Republicans, country club blue-blood Republicans, this nonpartisan Republican identity, that's what went down in flames. I've always believed that those of us who are conservative believe in the ideology. We believe it wins. We believe it's best for the country. We believe it's best for the people. We believe it's ultimately compassionate, and it has not been present.
...
...The way I feel is this: I feel liberated, and I'm going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat Party and liberalism does.

I believe my side is worthy of victory, and I believe it's much easier to reform things that are going wrong on my side from a position of strength. Now I'm liberated from having to constantly come in here every day and try to buck up a bunch of people who don't deserve it, to try to carry the water and make excuses for people who don't deserve it. I did not want to sit here and participate, willingly, in the victory of the libs, in the victory of the Democrat Party by sabotaging my own. But now with what has happened yesterday and today, it is an entirely liberating thing. If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future -- both in Congress and the administration -- are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that's liberating.
I disagree with Rush almost as often as I agree with him, but this is one of those times that I absolutely agree with him. While it's unfortunate that some very good GOP warriors (J.D. Hayworth, Michael Steele) were sent packing, they can thank their party for their defeat.

By the way, Rush thinks that the illegal alien amnesty plan will be implemented now. He's probably right. Think about it: the GOP Senate supported it, the prez supported it, and the only obstacle was the GOP House. Now that both the House AND Senate are Dem-controlled, the only obstacle has been removed. Gracias por nada, GOP!