Monday, July 09, 2007

Robo-potties in South FL?

OK, this is actually a non-partisan (though definitely a political) post that I just had to pass on. From South Florida, via WND:
Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle says his city has a problem with “homosexual activity” in public restrooms and he has a plan to stop it – robotic toilets that allow occupants to stay inside for only a short time before the door automatically opens. ...

Fort Lauderdale police officials said male sex in public restrooms is no longer a problem, but Naugle insists the practice persists and has used recent public meetings and e-mails to constituents to raise the issue. ...

Naugle said the proposed location for the city’s first experimental unit is “the rainbow parking lot” at a local beach considered by some to be the area’s “gay beach.”

“The homosexual newspaper said it’s the ‘gay parking lot.’ That’s not me saying that,” Naugle told the Sun-Sentinel, “that’s what they said. I don’t use the word ‘gay.’ I use the word ‘homosexual.’ Most of them aren’t gay. They’re unhappy.”

OK, I don't care to debate whether gays are happy or not (but if you guys want to do so, I shan't interfere). I just have two points to ponder:

1. Exactly how much time is "enough time" to lay cable? You definitely get an idea of how heavy-handed Big Guvmint is getting when it determines what an appropriate amount of time to pinch a loaf would be. Guys, don't take that newspaper or magazine into the stall, lest ye have the doors fling open for all the world to see (and, presumably, to smell)!

2. The Fort Lauderdale cops who actually work the beat say that male sex in public restrooms is no longer a problem. Mayor Naugle insists the practice persists. Intemperate question...how would he know?

Cops: "It's not going on!"

Naugle: "Yes, it is! (pauses) Uh...I have 'sources' that tell me it does. I mean, it's not like I've been around it! Just, uh, trust me already, OK???"

Labels: , ,