Friday, July 22, 2005

Hatch: Chucky asks "dumbass questions"

I'm not a huge fan of Orrin Hatch. Strike that. I wasn't a huge fan of Orrin Hatch. I think I am now. From NewsMax:
Sen. Charles Schumer's questioning of Supreme Court nominee John Roberts was so hostile during Roberts' 2003 appellate court confirmation hearings that Sen. Orrin Hatch blasted his New York colleague for asking "dumbass questions."

In a audioclip of the exchange unearthed Wednesday by ABC Radio host Sean Hannity, the normally mild-mannered Utah Republican complained:

"Some [of Schumer’s questions] I totally disagree with. Some I think are dumbass questions, between you and me."

"I am not kidding you," Hatch continued. "I mean, as much as I love and respect [Schumer], I just think that’s true."

Taken aback, the New York Democrat asked if Hatch would like to "revise and extend his remark" - i.e., offer a retraction for the congressional record.

But Hatch refused to back down, telling Schumer:

"No, I am going to keep it exactly the way it is. I mean, I hate to say it. I mean, I feel badly saying it between you and me. But I do know dumbass questions when I see dumbass questions."
Honestly, I don't know what Schumer's questions were, but I reflexively believe that since he was the one asking them, they probably were "dumbass questions."

Wonder how this affects the Senate comity that the "Gang of 14" wanted to preserve? It's more like "Senate comedy" to me!