Thursday, June 22, 2006

"Vote for 'cut and run', because Wellstone would have!"

I see the left is still trying to gravy-train off of corpses, a la Cindy Sheehan, Michael Berg, Yoko Ono, Courtney Love, etc. Add Durbin the Turban to the mix. Senator Dick al-Durbin laden on the smoking defeat (86-13 against) of the Kerry amendment:
Senator Wellstone was going back home to Minnesota to face reelection. I remember saying to him, "Paul, I hope this doesn't cost you the election." And you know what he said to me, Senator Byrd? "It doesn't matter. This is what I believe, this is who I am." That was the last conversation I ever had with Paul Wellstone. He died in a plane crash just a few days later. I've thought about him ever since, I miss him, I miss his voice. I wish he were here today. If he were here today I know what he would be doing, he would be joining me in supporting the Kerry amendment.
Great...so the vote could have been 86-14 instead? Now that would have been a monumental difference and a poignant statement, wouldn't it?

I do feel badly that Wellstone died, because in spite of his flaming leftist ideology, the man was at least honest about who he was and was willing to lose an election instead of compromising his beliefs. That kind of openness and adherence to core beliefs is sorely lacking in today's politicians.