Sunday, February 06, 2005

Patriots win Super Bowl in my backyard, which means...

The Patriots won Super Bowl 39 (I prefer real numbers to Roman numerals) here in Jacksonville. I wish the weather could have been warmer, since it was around 80 degrees about two weeks ago. But it was in the upper 60's today, and was around 63 at kickoff.

Can't complain, though I was kinda pulling for Philly. Just to see something different, other than the announcers getting orgasmic over Brady. He's a good guy, and I respect his accomplishments. But for the love of Pete, I wish the announcers would give it a rest already! Notice that QB's are referenced during the game by the last names: Marino back to pass, Elway steps into the pocket, Montana whips one down the middle, McNabb scrambles, etc. But the announcers never call the Patriots' QB by his last name: Brady. Every sentence is Tom Brady. Such as "It looks like Tom Brady got a fart stuck crossways in his ass, but not to worry! EMT is on the sidelines, and Baptist Memorial Hospital is only 1.3 miles from here, so America can breathe easier!" To call him Brady would be, I guess, less deferential and more disrespectful. Never mind that far better QB's like Marino and Montana and Elway are known only by their last name. But not Brady (oops, I did it again!)

Anyway, to get to my point. The Patriots won this Super Bowl, and last year's Super Bowl. The Red Sox won the World Series last year. This means that the only loser to come out of Mass. in the last year...is John Kerry!